Welcome parents and family members of new students at Nicholls State University! Here you can find resources and information about our university and surrounding areas. We value your involvement and look forward to sharing the Colonel experience with you and your family.
Thibodaux, LA is a friendly university city located in Lafourche parish and is home to approximately 14,000+ residents. Conveniently located 50 miles from New Orleans, the area is full of flavorful cajun cuisine, trendy boutiques and shops, and exhilarating events. These qualities, along with many others, are what make our ever-growing community so captivating. Thibodaux was even ranked as the most charming small town in Louisiana by Reader’s Digest Magazine in 2018. Nicholls State University and the Thibodaux community share a bond like no other. From service projects to campus traditions, we truly are behind each all the way. Thibodaux’s atmosphere is sure to leave every student feeling right at home.
- University Police Department – Because of our outstanding University Police Department, Nicholls State University has been ranked as one of the safest college campuses in the state of Louisiana. They ensure the safety of the students, faculty, and staff by responding to any service calls and being available when their assistance may be needed, such as events run by student organizations. Our officers are trained to properly handle situations that require firearms, investigations, first aid, etc.
- Emergency Call Boxes – These boxes are located around the Nicholls State University campus and can be used easily. In the case of an emergency, the unique boxes provide the students with a direct way to contact University Police quickly.
- Office of Environmental Health & Safety – The Office of Environmental Health & Safety ensure that our campus is well prepared for emergencies. The staff creates committees, a health and safety plan, systems, and crews to immediately control any distinctive situations that could possibly bring danger to our Nicholls family.
IN WALKING DISTANCE:
Nicholls State University is perfectly nestled within minutes of resources that students can use during their time in Thibodaux. Whether a student needs a quick grocery trip, financial service, or prescription, nearly anything can be found right behind our campus.
- University Health Services – Our University Health Services office is conveniently located on campus in Ayo Hall and functions just as a normal doctor’s office. Students can schedule appointments, receive immunizations, or even stop by for some general medical information.
- Thibodaux Regional Medical Center – Thibodaux Regional Medical Center is the local hospital in Thibodaux and is located five minutes away. The well-known medical center provides many opportunities for those who are looking to begin a successful career in the field, volunteer for service hours, or attend various classes that are offered.
- St. Thomas Aquinas Church – St. Thomas Aquinas is home of the Colonel Catholics and very popular among student on campus and local residents from the community. There are various mass and confession times throughout the week that allow even the busiest students to attend. As members of Colonel Catholics, students have opportunities to attend small groups, mission trips, retreats, and national conferences.
- University Baptist Church – University Baptist Church provides a place of worship for students of Baptist faith. Although they are located within walking distance of campus, the church offers a shuttle service for students who may need transportation. University Baptist also offers college ministry, mission trip opportunities, and the Adopt-a-College Student Program.
- First Presbyterian Church – The First Presbyterian Church in Thibodaux is just minutes away from campus in downtown Thibodaux. They offer men’s, women’s, and adult’s ministries. Sunday bible study and service are held weekly.
- John’s Episcopal Church – The St. John’s Episcopal Church of Thibodaux makes every effort to create a welcoming and inclusive place of worship in our area. The church also aims to give back to the community through programs like the Lenten Soup and Supper program that benefits the Good Samaritan Food Bank. St. John’s offer one Sunday morning service, as well as online viewing.
- Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program (BTNEP) – The Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program is an organization of individuals who are dedicated to preserving and protecting the Barataria-Terrebonne estuary here in southeast Louisiana. Its office is located right here on campus in North Babington Hall. This organization also provides students with opportunities to enhance their education and give back to the community through events like Bayou Lafourche Clean-Up and beach sweeps.
- Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department – Established in 1874, the Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department has always played a huge role in our community through their service and the annual Thibodaux Firemen’s Fair and Parade. The department currently consists of 470+ members, including some of our Colonels.
- MAX Charter School “Race for Their Future” 5K – This annual fundraiser is held in Peltier Park to support the mission of Max Charter School. MAX is dedicated to educating the minds of our local young students with Dyslexia and other language-related differences. Funds collected from the event are used to purchase supplies and technology that will improve the students’ education.
- Acadian Elementary Annual Mudbug 5K – Acadian Elementary’s Annual Mudbug 5K begins and ends at the school in Houma, LA. Funds raised from the event will be directly used to support the education of the students.
- Donut Dash 5K – The True Gentlemen of Sigma Alpha Epsilon host the 5k and optional “Donut Dash” 5K, where runners pause at the halfway mark to consume four donuts before continuing the race. All proceeds raised from the event are used to help support the Schriever Lions Club.