Office of Coastal Support
at NICHOLLS STATE UNIVERSITY
With its proximity to the Gulf of Mexico, the Atchafalaya Basin, the Barataria-Terrebonne estuary, and its service to local communities of the region, Nicholls State University has seen first-hand, how Louisiana’s waterways affect everyday life and culture. The campus understands the necessity for coastal research to be at the forefront of campus activity. Given these unique circumstances and its physical location, Nicholls has a unique opportunity to serve the state as an epicenter for coastal and estuarine efforts through research, education, and outreach.
OFFICE OF COASTAL SUPPORT:
The Coastal Center
Future Site: Corner of Acadia and Ardoyne Drive
104 Thoroughbred Drive
Thibodaux, LA 70301
The Office of Coastal Initiatives leads, administers, and manages the activities of Nicholls State University in
science, engineering, education, and service that address issues of the Louisiana Gulf Coast as well as its bayou
estuaries and communities.
An eminent center for creation, development, and application of evidence-based, critically conceived solutions
to coastal issues.
The goals of the Office of Coastal Initiatives are:
- To serve as the coordinating hub for coastal activities of the university and its collaborators and partners.
- To build and support the Nicholls Coastal Center in partnership with the Coastal Protection and
Restoration Authority (CPRA) and other partners.
- To coordinate and facilitate activities of university properties associated with coastal activities, including
the University Farm, the Fourchon Camp, the Chauvin Gardens, Babington House, and the Coastal
- To represent the university in collaborations with CPRA, the Water Institute, the South Louisiana
Maritime campus, the Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program, and other partnerships.
- To provide a workplace that supports outstanding teaching, research, and services to students, the
university, and coastal and estuarine communities.
- To provide a supportive educational and research environment for university and visiting students that
promotes development of their talents and creativity, drives them to earning a degree, and prepares them
for careers focused on addressing coastal issues.
- Nicholls State University Farm Sows Solutions Save Louisiana Coast
- Water Institute, CPRA Award Nicholls Nearly $500,000 for Coastal Research
- Nicholls State growing coast-adapted plants for restoration
- Gov. Edwards Announces Partnership Between CPRA and Nicholls State to Create Coastal Center
- CPRA, Nicholls Announce Duplantis Design Group to Design Coastal Center at Nicholls State University
John P. Doucet, Ph.D.
Director of Coastal Initiatives
Dean, College of Sciences and Technology
Alcee Fortier Distinguished Professor
McIlhenny Professor of Human and Environmental Genetics
phone: (985) 448-4721
fax: (985) 448-4927
P.O. Box 2020, Thibodaux, LA 70310 USA
149 Sciences & Technology Building