Fitness and Wellness
The Office of Campus Recreation provides multiple services for you to enhance or maintain your healthy lifestyle. To assist you in achieving your goals, our services include both individualized opportunities and group exercise.
Campus Recreation offers group exercise classes each week to meet the demands of our members! The variety and scheduling of classes will help you to stay motivated, while having fun! These classes are free with a membership to the Recreation Center.
Many health and wellness opportunities are available throughout the department to help educate you in beginning your journey to a healthy life. The opportunities are updated at the right of the page.
The Office of Campus Recreation’s goal is to educate members on how to safely and effectively exercise for life. A certified personal trainer can work with you one-on-one to develop a training program that fits your needs. Personal trainers will instruct you on proper technique throughout a wide variety of exercises and machines, all while motivating you to meet your fitness goals.
Should I work with a Personal Trainer
You should hire a personal trainer if:
- You are unsure of how or where to begin and need instruction on health and fitness information to put you on the right track.
- You want an individualized workout that caters to your fitness needs and is time efficient.
- You need motivation.
- Your fitness level has plateaued and you need results.
- You are training for a specific event and want to enhance your performance.
Do I qualify to work with a Personal Trainer
- You must be a member of the Harold J. Callais Student Recreation Center
- You must complete the informational documents prior to exercise. See Administrative Office for more information.
- You must complete a consultation/fitness assessment prior to your first workout
Conduct of training sessions
- There is a fee of $25 – $45 per session. Minimum of 2 session purchase.
- All training sessions will be conducted at the Harold J. Callais Student Recreation Center
- Training sessions will last no longer than 60 minutes
- Training sessions are one-on-one
- Training sessions are to be conducted by a current Campus Recreation personal trainer.
- All cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance. A “no-show” will be considered a session serviced and the client will be charged.
- All sessions must be purchased in advance.
We offer Cybex weight lifting equipment, and you can now follow their recommended basic strength training routines that correlate to our equipment. Follow the link to choose your equipment and routine:
ABOUT Office of Campus Recreation
The Department of Campus Recreation offers exercise, fitness and recreational sports opportunities for the Nicholls State University community. While fostering a motivational atmosphere of fun and excitement, the department strives to enhance the physical development of the campus community through such programs as competitive intramural sports activities and league play, fitness and wellness and group exercise.
Through partnerships, Campus Recreation is committed to complementing the mission of Nicholls State University through contributions to the holistic wellness of the campus community. – Reviewed 7/2/13
- To provide information, services and support for student development and fitness.
- To collaborate with other departments to provide wellness services for student academic success.
- To encourage student participation in activities which promote healthy lifestyles.
- To develop and promote leadership opportunities for students.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Participants will be able to explain and develop interactive team building skills.
- Student employees will demonstrate excellent customer service behaviors.
The Office of Campus Recreation conducts the following assessment activities throughout the year:
|January:||Personal Intramural Team Captain Sessions|
|April:||Implement Intramural Assessment Instrument|
|May:||Student Employee Assessment Instrument|
|September:||Personal Intramural Team Captain Sessions|
|November:||Implement Intramural Assessment Instrument|
Kat Harrell Slosarek-Associate Director
Brittany Brandt-Fitness and Wellness Coordinator
Zach Adams-Intramural Coordinator
Rachel Dufrene-Administrative Coordinator