Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What constitutes a disability?
A disability is defined in the American with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.

Q. What does “substantially limiting” mean?
A. According to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, substantially limiting is defined as being unable to perform a major life activity, or significantly restricted as to the condition, manner or duration under which a major life activity can be performed, in comparison to the average person or to most people.

Q. What is a “major life activity?”
A. According to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a major life activity is defined as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning and working.

Q. What should I do if I have a disability and want to receive accommodations?
A. If you have a disability, you will need to provide documentation of that disability to the Student Access Center.   A qualified professional, who is licensed or certified to diagnose the disability in question, must provide the documentation.  An appointment should be scheduled with the Director of the Student Access Center at Nicholls to review the documentation and the need for services.

Q. If I am a client of the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation is there anything special I should know?
The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation will often fund services for you, if you are completing a college degree as a part of your DVR employment plan.  You must advise the Director of the Student Access Center that you are using the Vocational Rehabilitation Office.

Q. How can I obtain a permit for accessible (handicapped) parking?
To get a handicapped parking permit, contact University Police Parking Services at (985) 448-4526 or visit their office located in Calecas Hall.

Q. I need a large desk or left-handed desk in my classroom.  Who do I contact to request a desk?
A. Contact SAC at (985) 448-4430 to get a large or left-handed desk delivered to your classroom.  Please have the buildings and room numbers available when calling.

Q. How does an instructor know what accommodation are approved?
Once approved for accommodation, students are provided with a Letter of Accommodation (LOA).  It is the student’s responsibility to deliver the LOA to the instructors.

Q. If I have disability questions, whom do I contact?
For more information, please visit or contact our office:
Student Access Center
Nicholls State University
P. O. Box 2087
Thibodaux, LA 70310
Phone: 985.448.4430

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.