How Do I Know Which Course I Need to Take?


Course Cumulative High School GPA High School English GPA ACT (English) ACCUPLACER SAT (ERW)
English 100 16–17 240–249 460–490
English 101 3.25+ 3.0+ 18–27 250+ 500–630
English 102 28–31 640–690
Exempt 32+ 700+

Students who place into English 102 by virtue of their ACT English or SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score also receive credit for English 101. Likewise, students exempt from these requirements by virtue of their scores receive credit for English 101 and 102.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Students receive credit for English 101 and place into English 102 by scoring a 50 or higher on CLEP’s College Composition or College Composition Modular examination.

Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations

Students receive credit for both English 101 and 102 if they score a 3 or higher in English Language or English Literature.

Transfer Credit

To learn how credit from other institutions transfers to Nicholls State University, refer to the university’s Transfer Student Resource Center. Students transferring from Louisiana public universities and community colleges may find some course equivalencies in the Louisiana Master Course Articulation Matrix.

You should contact the Writing Program about the possibility of a course equivalency review if all of the following apply:

  • You earned credit for one or more composition courses at a private institution or a public institution located outside Louisiana.
  • You did not receive credit through the Admissions Office for English 101 or 102.
  • You feel that you should have received credit for English 101 or 102.


Writing Program Administrators

Erick Piller
Peltier Hall 251B

Scott Banville
Peltier Hall 251C