Nicholls State University

Transfer Student
Resource Center


Welcome to the Transfer Student Resource Center at Nicholls State University.

We are delighted that you have chosen to continue your education at Nicholls State University. The Transfer Student Resource Center was created to assist transfer students in transitioning into a new academic environment, and its staff is dedicated to making the process as simple as possible. This process may begin even before admission. If you are considering transferring to Nicholls, you may request an unofficial evaluation of transcripts and a departmental review of courses. Whether you are a prospective student or an admitted student, the Center staff will assist you in contacting departmental advisors and in securing the academic information that you need.

The Center also provides a brief transfer orientation to help familiarize you with the programs and services offered by the university. In addition, the Transfer Student Resource Center serves as a point of contact for students needing information regarding course equivalencies and for those Louisiana community college students pursuing the Louisiana Transfer Degree. Please use the links on this page to find information about transferring to Nicholls.

Welcome to our university. We look forward to seeing you on our campus.

The Transfer Student Resource Center is committed to easing the transition for new students by providing transcript evaluation and course articulation services, by connecting students to academic departments for assistance with advising and registration.

Acceptance of transfer credit is limited to academic credit earned at a regionally accredited institutions or through the appropriate accrediting agency for institutions of higher education abroad. Students should bear in mind that many community and technical colleges offer both academic and non-academic (vocational/technical) courses.  Credits earned by completing non-academic courses, even those completed at regionally accredited institutions, will typically not be accepted as transfer credits.  Students transferring from Louisiana public universities and community colleges may find some course equivalencies on the Louisiana Master Course Articulation Matrix.

Once institution accreditation is verified, determination of course equivalents is based on course descriptions obtained from the transfer institution’s catalog and by other means as necessary. Students may be asked to submit a syllabus for a course if more detailed information is required.

When appropriate, transfer courses are articulated as Nicholls courses.  However, some courses, for various reasons, will not transfer as specific courses, but as hours earned.  Whether the courses are degree applicable will likely depend on the major.

Course abbreviations and numbers that include “Xs” represent courses that do not transfer as specific courses.  For example, a freshman mathematics course taken at another college or university may receive a MATH 1XX designation.  This means that the course content does not match sufficiently with any mathematics course offered at Nicholls.  In this case, the student will receive credit for a mathematics course at the 100 level.  The mathematics credit may or may not satisfy degree requirements. Likewise, a course receiving an XXXX designation indicates that the course is in a discipline not available at Nicholls.  A transfer architecture course, for example, ARCH 1001, would receive an XXXX 1XX designation since Nicholls does not offer any courses in architecture.  In this instance, the student will receive freshman-level credit for the course.

Freshman and sophomore (lower-level) courses may be articulated interchangeably.  For example, a 200-level Calculus I course transferring from another institution may be identified as equivalent to Nicholls’ MATH 165, Calculus I course.  Likewise, a 100-level course may be identified as equivalent to a 200-level Nicholls course.   Upper-level courses, that is, those designated as junior (300) and senior (400) level courses are treated the same way.  However, only under special circumstances will lower-level courses articulate as upper-level courses.

Credits for military service are awarded for only those courses designated by the American Council on Education (ACE) as lower-level (L) and upper-level (U) academic. Credit is not issued for those identified as vocational (V).  As practice, the University typically awards freshman-level credits for military courses designated as lower-level and junior-level credits for those designated as upper-level.  To the extent possible, military service courses are articulated by discipline, but very seldom as specific Nicholls courses (e.g., BSAD 1XX, MLSC 1XX, MNGT 3XX, etc.).  Human performance education activity credits are awarded for each six months of active service up to a maximum of eight semester hours of credit.

Applicability of any of the transfer credits mentioned above to Nicholls degree programs is determined by the academic departments and colleges.

If you are thinking about transferring to Nicholls and you would like to know which courses will transfer, please contact

Mary DeLaune
Transfer Advisor
Phone: 985.448.4089

Additional Contact Information:
Nicholls State University
Transfer Student Resource Center
P.O. Box 2186
Nicholls State University
Thibodaux, Louisiana 70310
Office: 234 Elkins Hall
Fax: 985-448-4201


If you plan to transfer to Nicholls for the coming semester, you should take the following steps.

The first step in the process is to complete an application for admission and pay the application fee. Apply now!

Nicholls must have official copies of transcripts from each college or university previously attended. This should be done as quickly as possible. Participating schools may submit transcripts electronically through eSCRIP-SAFE®. Mailed transcripts should be sent to:

Nicholls State University
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 2004
Thibodaux, LA 70310

Some colleges and universities will fax official copies of transcripts directly to our admissions office. The admissions office fax number is 985-448-4929.

Students who have attended an institution of higher education outside of the United States must send to Nicholls an original official transcript from the institution, a notarized English translation of the transcript, and a copy of any diploma/certificate earned. To receive credit for international courses, students are also required to send a course-by-course evaluation of all courses taken. In addition, an English translation of all course descriptions from the school’s catalog of courses listed on the student’s transcript of record should also be sent to Nicholls by the student or school. All transferable international course work will be assigned a grade of either “Satisfactory” or “Unsatisfactory.” A cumulative grade point average is still calculated from the original transcript for admission purposes.

The companies listed below are recognized by Nicholls State University and qualified to provide a course-by course evaluation of your international academic records.

SDR Educational Consultants
Phone:  713-460-3525
Fax:      713-460-5344

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
Phone:  414-289-3400
Fax:      414-289-3411

Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
Phone: 800-707-0979
Fax:  979-690-6342

Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants
Phone:  305-273-1616
Fax:      305-273-1338

AACRAO  International Education Services
Phone:  202-296-3359
Fax:      202-822-3940

World Education Services, Inc.
Phone:  212-966-6311
Fax:      212-739-6100

If you are interested in financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at If you need more information visit our financial aid website.

All students must complete and submit the Proof of Immunization Form before the semester begins. For more information please visit the University Health Services website.

Familiarize yourself with degree requirements. The university catalog contains program information and course descriptions.

Once your transcript has been evaluated, you will receive an email with your advisor’s information to setup an advising appointment in the department of your major.

If you have fewer than 30 credit hours you must attend Freshmen Orientation.

If you have questions regarding transfer credits, please contact Mary Delaune at 985-448-4093.

If you have questions regarding the admissions process or if you would like to tour our campus, please contact Robin Andrews at 985-448-4147.

The link below provides some course equivalencies for all Louisiana four-year and two-year public institutions.

Louisiana Master Course Articulation Matrix


The Louisiana Transfer Associate Degree

The goal of the Louisiana Transfer Degree is to maximize the transfer of academic credits from two-year technical or community colleges to four-year institutions. The transfer associate degree gives two-year college students the opportunity to complete 60 hours of course work toward a baccalaureate degree before transferring to a public Louisiana university. Students may complete either an Associate of Arts/Louisiana Transfer (AA/LT) degree or an Associate of Science/Louisiana Transfer (AS/LT) degree depending on the baccalaureate program being pursued. For more information on the LT degree please visit the Transfer Degree Guarantee website.

For questions regarding degree programs and transfer credits contact Mary Delaune at 985-448-4093 or
For questions regarding admissions contact Robin Andrews at 985-448-4147 or

The document below contains advising guides designed to assist students in selecting courses that apply to Fletcher’s A.G.S. degree and transfer into baccalaureate programs at Nicholls.  Students and advisors should read the introductory information before using the guides.  Students should review particular baccalaureate degree requirements in the Nicholls State University catalog.

2021-2022 AGS Advising Handbook

The link below is a list of Fletcher courses and the equivalent Nicholls courses.  The list of equivalent courses is also available in Appendix D of the 2018-19 Fletcher A.G.S. Advising Guide.

2020-2021 Nicholls-Fletcher Course Articulation Guide

LT Advising Guides (2019-2020)

Completion of the Associate of Arts/Science Louisiana Transfer (AALT/ASLT) Degree guarantees that the student has met, in full, all lower division general education requirements at the receiving Louisiana public university. Graduates transferring with the transfer degree will have Junior status. Courses or GPA requirements for specific majors, departments, or schools are not automatically satisfied by the AALT/ASLT degree.  It is strongly recommended that you seek assistance with course selection from the Transfer Student Resource Center if you plan on pursuing the AALT/ASLT degree.  


Office Location:
234 Elkins Hall
Mailing Address:
P. O. Box 2008
Thibodaux, LA 70310
Phone: 985-448-4093
E-mail: Mary Delaune
7:30 am – 4:30 pm


The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.