Welcome to Academic Services Center

Welcome to Nicholls State University and to the Academic Services Center.  It is my privilege to serve as the director of an academic unit that has as its primary function the success of students newly admitted to the university.  The Center offers comprehensive programs and enrichment services designed to promote and sustain your academic achievement.

The Academic Services Center includes the Academic Advising Center, the Transfer Student Resource Center, the Tutorial and Academic Enhancement Center, the Academic Testing Center and the University Honors Program.  Each center makes a unique contribution to a student’s university experience.

A key component of our academic services is the Academic Advising Center.  The Academic Advising Center coordinates academic advising for all freshman students.  Each freshman is advised by a professional academic advisor.  These advisors are trained to help students develop a greater sense of responsibility for their academic progress and to assist them in meeting the challenges of higher education.  Students receive advising through the Academic Advising Center until they are accepted into their majors.

The Transfer Student Resource Center serves as an initial point of contact for all transfer students.  It was created to assist transfer students in making the transition into their new academic environment.  The Transfer Student Resource Center conducts transcript evaluations for all incoming transfer students and coordinates student advising with the academic departments.

The Tutorial and Academic Enhancement Center provides peer tutoring, writing and other forms of academic assistance to all Nicholls students.  It offers a supportive learning environment and helps students develop confidence in their academic abilities.

The Academic Testing Center provides testing for placement into freshman-level English and mathematics courses.  The center also provides a convenient, on-campus site for students to complete web exams that require proctoring.

The University Honors Program offers honors courses in several of the general education areas and advanced elective courses in specific disciplines.  Additionally, the program provides enhanced curricular opportunities including research and directed studies with some of the university’s most accomplished professors.

Our services are varied, but each focuses on assisting you in becoming a complete, thriving student.  Your success is as important to us as it is to you.  For that reason, the Academic Services Center is committed to helping you meet the challenges of higher education.  Once again, welcome to Nicholls State University.


David Zerangue
Director, Academic Services Center