Nicholls State University is committed to providing outstanding service to the men and women of the United States Armed Forces both while on active duty and after separation. We believe that members of the military and veterans enhance the campus community and provide a wealth of insight both inside the classroom and through interaction with fellow students. Whether your service has been foreign or domestic, we thank you for your contribution and promise to make sure that your enrollment experience is as seamless as possible.
Members of the military and veterans can expect priority service when enrolling at Nicholls State University. We have exempted admissions criteria for veterans who are eligible for GI Bill benefits and who have received a discharge for any reason other than dishonorable. You also will be allowed priority registration, meaning you can register before the general student population. We encourage our veterans to utilize resources and services available at Nicholls, including the University Counseling Center. We have also identified a group of individual advisors that serve as veterans advocates.
If this is your first time at Nicholls, and you never took the ACT in high school, we will administer a Compass exam to assess your placement in English and Math. We will need transcripts from your high school or any previous colleges you attended. Other than your transcript, an application for admission is the only thing that should be completed. After you are admitted, you will need to complete the student request for VA benefits EVERY Semester!
If this is your first time at Nicholls and you plan to utilize either your Post 9/11 GI benefits or will continue on the Montgomery GI Bill, welcome to Nicholls! We are here to serve you! The individuals listed below are ready to work with you!
Steps to enrolling at Nicholls State University:
- You must apply or reapply for admission. If you were forced to leave Nicholls because of a deployment, upon presenting the Office of Admissions a copy of your orders or your DD214, the $20 application fee will be waived. We will process your application immediately if registration is occurring. As per the Board of Regents and National Guard Policy Section II 8.2, we will make every possible effort to place you back into your academic studies track as close as possible to the same place you occupied when mobilized/activated.
- If this is your first time at Nicholls, you must apply for admission and submit the $20 application fee.
- You should make arrangements to visit with Courtney Cassard in the Office of Admissions. She will be happy to guide you through the enrollment process and discuss your financial aid package with you.
- Gilberto Burbante will be your Veteran’s Affairs liason. He can be reached at 985-448-4208
- When applying for your GI Bill benefits online, please use PO Box 2004, Thibodaux, LA 70310 as the school mailing address.
We realize that you may be in another part of the world when you are completing the enrollment process, so we would be happy to work with you via email, fax, or phone. Below is a short directory of important contact information of the professionals that are ready to help you begin or continue your studies:
Coordinator of Veterans Services
Phone (985) 448-4208
Fax (985) 448-4929
Director of Enrollment Services
Phone (985) 448-4405
Fax (985) 448-4929
Director of Financial Aid
Phone (985) 448-4077
Fax (985) 448-4124
Don’t hesitate to contact us toll free at 1-877-NICHOLLS if you have any questions.