Student Rights and Grievances

Student Government Association
Director of Student Rights & Grievances

Hi Colonels! My name is Victoria Rideau and I am your Director of Student Rights and Grievancesfor the Student Government Association here at Nicholls State University. It is truly an honor to be serving and representing the dedicated, hardworking, and outstanding students at this university. My responsibility is to protect and defend all of your student rights and be a voice for you. My goal isto make certain that everyone has the best and most memorable college experience. I will personally account for every grievance brought to my attention and work diligently to take the proper actions to resolve these issues. I promise you that all grievances will be handled with the utmost confidentiality, respect, and impartiality.
I have an open-door policy and welcome you to visit my office for any concerns or grievances that you feel need to be addressed.I am here to serve you for anything from an academic grievance to campus concerns or personal issues. I will always be someone that is here to help and listen to your concerns.
I look forward to hearing from you and serving you.Please do not hesitate to stop by my office, give me a call, or send me an email.
Victoria E. Rideau
Director of Student Rights &Grievances
(Office) 985-448-4561

Do you have a grievance or concern? Use the forms below to submit.

Grievance Forms

Student Academic Grievance Form – Informal Process

1. This form is to be used by students who wish to initiate an academic grievance, that is, students who feel that they have been treated unfairly with respect to an academic matter or who wish to appeal a grade and who have attempted to resolve the matter with the instructor.

2. Students may request assistance with the grievance process from the SGA Director of Student Rights and Grievances. The SGA Office is located in the Student Union. The telephone number is 985-448-4557, email is

3. If the matter is not resolved with the instructor, the student may pursue the issue by completing this form and submitting it to the department head within 90 calendar days of the alleged incident. If the matter is resolved with the instructor, the student is encouraged to keep this form for his/her records.

Student Academic Grievance Appeals – Formal Procedures

Student Academic Grievance Appeals – Formal Procedures

If you have filed an Academic Grievance and the matter is not satisfactorily resolved, you may request a hearing on the matter by submitting this form.

All Formal Grievances must be filed within 6 months from the date of the alleged incident.

The first level of the Formal Grievance will be submitted to the Academic Dean of the College within which the complaint originated. The Dean will review the information contained in the Form and attempt to resolve the matter.

Either party may appeal the decision of the Dean by submitting this same Form as a petition to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The petition must be filed with the Vice President within 10 days of the date of the Dean’s letter of notification. The appeal must be based on one or more of the following:

A. Published procedures were not followed;
B. There was insufficient evidence to support the decision;
C. Sanctions imposed were inappropriate;
D. Subsequent to the hearing, information was discovered which indicates that member(s) of the committee were not impartial

The student or the faculty member may appeal the decision of the Vice President for Academic Affairs by submitting a petition to the President for review and recommendation by the President’s Executive Council Appeals Committee within 10 days of the date of the letter from the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Decisions of the President are final.


Office Location:
Bollinger Memorial Student Union
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 2049
Thibodaux, LA 70310
Phone: 985-448-4557
Fax: 985-493-2631