Notification of Asbestos Inspections and Management Plan Availability
To: Nicholls State University Faculty, Staff, Building Occupants, Students, and Parents
RE: NOTIFICATION OF ASBESTOS INSPECTIONS AND MANAGEMENT PLAN AVAILABILITY
In compliance with the US Environmental Protection Agency’s Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) and the Louisiana Administrative Code 33:III. Chapter 27, Asbestos Containing Materials in Schools, Nicholls State University wishes to notify you of the following: AHERA requires all schools provide for the identification, management, and abatement of asbestos containing materials in a school. Inspections, response actions, and post response action activities, including periodic surveillance, are performed throughout the year. This information is provided in a school’s asbestos management plan.
Nicholls State University asbestos management plan is on file in the Nicholls State Environmental Health and Safety office. Should you have any questions regarding the plan, or want to view a copy, please contact the Nicholls State Environmental Health and Safety at 985- 448-4783 or 985-448-4782.
Director of Environmental Health & Safety and Emergency Operations
Nicholls State University
Management of Asbestos Containing Materials
The management of asbestos containing materials (ACM) located in campus buildings is regulated in compliance with the US Environmental Protection Agency’s Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) and the Louisiana Administrative Code (LAC) 33:III. Chapters 27 & 51 of the Air Quality Regulations.
Rules for the Proper Handling of Asbestos Containing Material (ACM)
- Only authorized persons can handle asbestos containing material.
- Suspect material that may contain asbestos, should not be touched. Contact EHS or Facility Services and a trained and accredited inspector will assess the situation for potential hazards.
- Prior to the commencement of any work on a project, to determine which requirements of LAC 33:III.5151 (Emission Standard for Asbestos) apply, the owner or operator of a demolition or renovation shall thoroughly inspect the affected building or part of the building where the activity will occur for the presence of asbestos. The inspection shall be performed by an inspector accredited by the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality. The inspection will identify all asbestos containing material, and all suspect (for asbestos) material involved in the scope of work. All suspect (for asbestos) material is assumed to be asbestos containing, and shall be handled as asbestos containing unless sampling proves otherwise.
- EHS has oversight of occupational and environmental exposure to asbestos. As such EHS is the point of contact (liaison) with the LADEQ to ensure compliance with OSHA and DEQ regulations.
- EHS maintains the Nicholls State University Asbestos Management Plan
The asbestos management plan is on file in the Nicholls State University Environmental Health & Safety office. Should you have any questions regarding the plan, or want to view a copy, please contact EHS at (985) 448-4783 or (985) 448-4782.