Nicholls Dining Services, operated by Sodexo Campus Services, is committed to supporting an aggressive sustainability program on our campus. We would like your support and ideas on how to make sustainability a constant goal and accomplishment. It will take the campus community, working together, to make Nicholls State University a “green” campus dedicated to protecting and preserving our environment in South Louisiana and beyond.
Reusable To-Go Containers:
“Nicholls Goes Green” Plates: All students with a residential meal plan will be issued a clear green, clamshell-like reusable plate to use when wanting a meal to go from the cafeteria. Do not write or mark your plate.
How Does It Work?
You will take your green plate to the cafeteria and give it to the cashier. The cashier will give you a sanitized plate which you will go fill and close the lid before leaving the cafeteria. After you have eaten the meal, please wash, rinse and dry your plate. When you wish for another to-go meal, take your plate to the cashier who will give you another sanitized plate to use. You can see the recycling process here. Some things to remember are:
- You are responsible for returning the plate in good condition and cleaned.
- If you damage or lose your reusable green plate, you will be charged $2.00 for a new one. You can get the new one at the cafeteria cashier station. You may pay for a new plate using cash, Munch Money or Colonel Cash.
- If you do not wish to participate in this program, please return your reusable plate to the cafeteria.
Why is this program important?
- It reduces the amount of non-biodegradable Styrofoam that fills our garbage containers on campus and in our waste facilities.
- It reduces the amount of to-go meal products purchased, resulting in money saved and better utilized in our dining department.
- It should make everyone who participates proud that our University is committed to a Sustainability Program and that each of us is creating a “greener” Earth.