Nicholls State University


International Students

The Office of Financial Aid awards financial aid (federal grants and loans) to eligible students who have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To be eligible, you have to be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen. Below is the definition of citizen/eligible noncitizen as defined by the federal government.

You must be one of the following to receive federal student aid:
· U.S. citizen
· U.S. national (includes natives of America Samoa or Swain's Island)
· U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)

If you are not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing one of the following designations in order to be eligible:

· "Refugee"
· "Asylum Granted"
· "Indefinite Parole" and/or "Humanitarian Parole"
· "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending"
· "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)

If you only have a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you are not eligible for federal student aid.

If you are in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa only, or on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only, you cannot receive federal student aid. Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible for federal student aid.

If you are a citizen or an eligible noncitizen, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to apply for financial aid. You can complete the application online at:

· The Smart Student Guide to Studying in the USA
· International Education Financial Aid