Correspondence, Independent Study, Extension Work

Credit toward a degree may be awarded for independent study and for correspondence and extension courses completed through accredited colleges or universities. A maximum of 50 percent of Nicholls degree requirements may be earned through correspondence, extension, military service, military service schools, College Level Examinations Program (CLEP) or any accumulation from all categories of testing, placements and similar programs. Since the university policy on granting credit for CLEP scores excludes certain academic areas, the student should request further information on the policy regarding CLEP from the Testing Center. Credit will be granted for scores of 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB). Official transcript of AP and CLEP test results should be sent directly to the Office of Records and Registration by the testing agencies.

To take a correspondence course, a student must first get permission from his or her academic dean on the appropriate form. Correspondence examinations are administered by the Testing Center for a fee of $20 per examination. The Request for Correspondence Work form is available in the office of the student’s academic dean. No credit for correspondence or extension work can be earned toward a degree or for professional growth while a student is under suspension. Nicholls does not offer correspondence courses. Registration packets for many correspondence examinations can be found at the Testing Center.