Degree Evaluation

CAPP (Curriculum, Advising and Program Planning) is a degree evaluation tool to assist you and your advisor to track and monitor your progress toward completion of your degree. It provides a review of your Nicholls coursework, transfer work, and in-progress courses detailing curriculum requirements that are met and have not been met.

CAPP is designed to aid you as you progress toward completion of your degree. It may help answer
• How long will it take for me to graduate?
• Am I on schedule for graduation?
• Can I add a minor?
• A minor is required for my degree. How’s my progress with the minor I selected?
• What if I want to change my major?

The Degree Evaluation allows you to run a What-If Analysis to create a sample degree audit so that you can see what requirements have been met or need to be fulfilled for the program selected.

Degree Evaluations do not take the place of academic advising and are unofficial documents. It is necessary to obtain final approval for graduation from your academic department.

The degree evaluation is not an official transcript or academic record. Students are responsible for the selection of courses for the knowledge and completion of all degree requirements appropriate to their program of study as listed in the University catalog.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I access Degree Evaluation and process my degree audit?
• Login to Banner Self Service
• Select Student Tab
• Select Student Records
• Select Degree Evaluation
• Select the term for which the evaluation is to be processed
• Your Current Curriculum Information will be displayed
• Select What-If Analysis at the bottom of the page
• Select the catalog term, click Continue. All programs, undergraduate and graduate, are available from the 2011 and 2012 University catalogs. Catalog years begin with the fall semester.
• Select from the list of programs available, click Continue.
• Select the program that appears in the First Major* drop down box, click Submit.
• Click Generate Request
• View your Degree Evaluation Report

What does the Degree Evaluation Report contain? The What-If Analysis contains specific requirements for the program you chose. The Program Description, Catalog Term, Evaluation Term, and Results as of (date) are displayed at the top of the report. Each program is broken down into areas with details within that area. Most programs have a minimum of three areas: General Education, University Core, and Major requirements. Additional areas are concentration, electives, upper-level requirements, and minor.

Does CAPP use all my courses? The degree evaluation searches through all courses taken at Nicholls, current in-progress course work, and transfer work that are included in your academic record at Nicholls to fill the selected curriculum’s requirements. Excluded courses include those withdrawn (W), incomplete courses (I), developmental courses, repeated courses, and courses that do not meet the minimum grade as specified by the University or department where the curriculum is housed. Excluded courses can be viewed in the Courses Not Used section near the bottom of the report.

Why are courses I am currently repeating not showing in my degree evaluation? When a course is listed in your academic history and is not marked as a repeated course (excluded), CAPP attempts to use that course to meet the requirement. If the course is graded with a grade lower than the minimum grade (F, I, etc.), the course will not meet the compliance requirement and will not be displayed. Once the registered course is graded and the earlier course is marked as excluded, CAPP will be able to attempt to use the new course (included).

What is the difference between my Program GPA and the Overall GPA? The Program GPA includes courses that are used for this specific evaluation. Graduation is NOT based on the Program GPA. The Overall GPA is the student’s cumulative GPA at the time of the evaluation. It includes repeats and poor grades. However, an overall adjusted GPA of a least 2.0 is needed for graduation (undergraduate), as defined by the general requirements listed in the University catalog. Your overall adjusted GPA can be determined by processing the “Undecided” major for graduation purposes when needed. As with the Overall GPA, the “Undecided” GPA is based on the student’s completed coursework at the time the evaluation is processed. The “Undecided Non-Degree” major can be found in the Program drop down box when running a What-If Analysis.

How do I process an evaluation report for a minor? Select the “What-If Analysis” then from the Program drop down box select “Z MINOR check for degree audit.” This program will process your academic course work for all minors available in the catalog term chosen for the audit.

How often should I process my evaluation? The degree audit process is dynamic, meaning that each time you change your major, drop/add classes, add transfer work, and when final grades are posted there may be changes to your degree audit. You can review your progress or run a new What-If Analysis as often as you like, but you will only see changes once one or some of these processes take place.

My advisor told me a course would substitute for another. Why don’t I see it in the report? Course substitutions require an approval process. Check with your advisor to make sure the necessary paperwork has been submitted for approval.

I still have questions about my degree progress and the report. Who should I contact? You should contact your academic advisor to discuss your degree progress and the Degree Evaluation Report.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.