Move-in Day & Move-Out Information
Fall 2020 Move-In Day:
Move–in will occur August 5 – 9, 2020, from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM.
Students should sign up for a time to arrive on campus that works best for their families by clicking on the Move–in Time Slot Selection Form that is emailed to their Nicholls.edu email.
It is highly important that you and your family arrive during your selected time slot. We have purposely spaced these out to account for social distancing and limiting the number of people in a space throughout the day
Please bring no more than 2 people in addition to yourself to assist you in moving in. It’s important that we limit the number of people inside each residence hall at one time during this process.
Please complete the move–in process within 2-3 hours once you arrive at your assigned residence hall.
Residential Living Staff will be present in the residence hall to assist you with anything that you might need.
Fall 2020 Winter Closing:
- Residence Hall Students | November 20, 2020 @ 4:00 PM**
- Graduating Students | November 22, 2020 @ 4:00 PM
*Due to distancing measures, the schedule for move-in day could be adjusted. Pay close attention to your email for more information.
**This is an anticipated closure date. More information will be emailed as time grows nearer.
Move-in Day Overview!
Here is an overview of how your day will go:
Students will arrive by car on campus with their families and go to the Callais Recreation Center parking lot (map attached) during their selected timeslot. Students should enter campus by traveling down Percy Brown Road, to Ardoyne Drive.
Please leave Bowie Road free to exit the facility so students and their families can head toward their assigned residence hall.
Once at Step 1 of Check-in, marked with an “X” on the map, Residential Living Staff will meet students in their cars and begin the process.
Students who have no additional steps to complete (Financial Aid, Colonel Card, Payment Plans, Parking Passes, Advising, etc.), will receive their key and welcome packet so they can proceed to their residence hall.
If a student needs to complete additional steps (Step 2 on map) of their check-in process, they will park as instructed by a Residential Living staff member and enter the Recreation Center gymnasium to meet with a professional staff member.
After all business has been resolved, students and their families will follow directions (Step 3 on map) to their assigned residence hall to complete the move–in process.
Unfortunately, out of an abundance of caution, no move–in volunteers will be available to assist in transporting a student’s belongings. We will have move–in carts available for students to use to move their belongings. These will be sanitized between uses.
In addition to social distancing guidelines, please note that masks/face-coverings will be required throughout the move–in process at all times unless state and system guidelines change by then.*
Residential Living Staff will meet the students and their families at the entrance of their halls and show them to their room.
*If you have been exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, please do not come to campus to move–in. Notify our office that you will be arriving late to campus after completing the recommended CDC guidelines for quarantine/isolation and your specific situation. Please review the Nicholls State University – COVID-19 Information webpage for specific guidance and FAQs
WHAT TO PACK?
If you have a question about any item you wish to keep in your room, please speak to your Hall Director immediately or you may receive a fine for having a violation of university policy in your room. If you would like to call ahead to ask about these items specifically, please don’t hesitate to ask or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can’t wait to have you on campus!
- Bed Linens (Twin Extra-Long; Full Size in Brady Complex)
- Blanket & Pillows
- Towels, Wash Cloths, Robe, FlipFlops, & Laundry Basket
- Surge protector (UL approved, 15 amp breaker, 3 wire grounded plug, 6 or fewer outlets, on/off switch)
- Chargers for all electronic devices
- Toilet Paper, Paper towels, & Tissues
- Shower Curtain, Liner, & Hooks
- Flashlight & Batteries
- Basic Medication, Bandaids, Health Insurance Card & Social Security Card
- Trash Can & Trash Bags
- Cleaning Supplies: Laundry Detergent, Broom or Swiffer Sweeper, Disenfectant Wipes, Mop, Toilet Brush, Toilet Cleaner, Air Freshener, All-purpose Cleaner (No Harsh Cleaners)
- Clothing & Hangers (Be sure to pack for Louisiana Weather)
- Reusable Mask/Face Cover
- Hand Sanitizer
- Mini Fridge (5-7 cubic feet or smaller; Only 1 per room)
- Keurig or Coffee Maker (No open heating elements)
- Posters, Pictures, or Decorative Items (must use 3m command strips to hang)
- Curtains (Must use magnetic curtains or tension rods)
- School Supplies, Textbooks, & Backpack (order textbooks online through the Nicholls Bookstore; see the website for details; they price match)
- Nicholls Spirit Gear (check out the bookstore)
- Basic Kitchen Utensils & Snacks
- Storage Containers
To ensure the safety and security of all residents there are items that have been deemed as potential fire hazards, and therefore are not allowed in the residence halls at any time. The Office of Residential Living will conduct periodical residence hall room safety inspections to ensure the safety of all residents.
Here are some of the most common items/appliances that are prohibited:
- Space Heaters
- Hot Plates
- Halogen Lamps
- Extension cords that are not UL approved
- Any multiple plug adapters (with exception of power strips)
- Pets, other than fish (10-gallon tank limit)
- Firearms and/or Weapons
- Drugs and/or Alcohol