Guidelines For Requesting A State Vehicle

Please reserve vehicles in advance if possible to ensure availability.

  • STEP 1
    Go to the police department web site under state vehicles and fill out the state vehicles request form. Once this form is filled out save the document then, email this form to
  • STEP 2
    If a vehicle is available for the date requested and the driver is an authorized driver, you will receive an email with the vehicle number that has been reserved for your driver.  If there is not a vehicle on the date requested.  You will receive an email informing you that we do not have a vehicle for the date requested.
  • STEP 3                                                                                                                             If the person requesting to drive a state vehicle is not an authorized driver, they will need to contact Brian Clausen (ext. 4783) for the necessary paperwork and approval before the state vehicle can be released to the driver.
  • STEP 4
    The person requesting the vehicle will then fill out a travel form and acquire all necessary approvals; all approvals are needed before vehicle can be released.
  • STEP 5
    The vehicle key will be picked up and the vehicle signed out at the police department, then the state vehicle can be picked up at the maintenance motor pool.  When returning the state vehicle, the driver must return the state vehicle to the maintenance motor pool (if after hours park the vehicle next to the gate).  DO NOT PARK THE VEHICLE BY UNIVERSITY POLICE OR ANY OTHER AREA ON CAMPUS. Then return the key to University Police and sign the state vehicle in.


  1. Cars cannot be released earlier than the time stated and approved on the requisition unless you have notified the change and an email is sent to the person assigning the vehicles from the Controller’s Office.
    • Explanation: If a car is picked up early and the driver is in an accident, there could be an issue with risk management in covering the claim.
  2. A driver in a state vehicle coming back from a trip cannot pass their vehicle to another driver going to a different trip, without first returning the vehicle to the motor pool.  The keys should also be returned to and signed back into University Police.  Then the next driver can pick up the keys and sign out the vehicle at University Police and pick up the vehicle at the motor pool.  This does not apply to cases where there may be more than one driver on the same trip sharing the driving time due to the distance being covered.
    • Explanation: The vehicle needs to be checked for damages, maintenance, etc. prior to it being released to the next driver.  This is a liability and safety issue.
      The question originated with Athletics reserving a vehicle for a week, but different drivers on different trips would be using the vehicle.  They wanted to just hand the vehicle off to one another without returning the vehicle to the motor pool and reassigning the vehicle between trips.

If the state vehicle you are driving breaks down:

  • STEP 1
    If the breakdown occurs during the hours of 6:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. contact the Maintenance Motor Pool (985-448-4788) for instructions.
  • If the breakdown occurs after 4:30 p.m. or on the weekend/holiday, contact University Police (985-448-4746) letting them know about the situation.  Then find the nearest dealership of that vehicle make (example: Ford go to Ford Dealership).  Bring or have the vehicle towed to the dealership and have the vehicle repaired, using your credit card/whatever means of paying you prefer for the repair.  When University has opened submit your receipts with your travel requisition for reimbursement.  If no dealership is available or there are no other options, you could rent a vehicle to return to campus, or if that is not possible you may have to stay in a hotel overnight, being reimbursed in the same manner as above.
  • STEP 2
  • When you are able to contact the police department (985-448-4746) to report the accident and inform University if you are injured. If the accident is minor and you are not injured, still contact the police department about the accident.  If the vehicle is drivable, then drive it back to the University.  If it is not drivable and it is a weekday between the hours of 6:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. contact the Maintenance Motor Pool (985-448-4788) for further instructions on what to do about the vehicle.