5.5.1 Extra Compensation
The salary of full–time employees of Nicholls State University is intended as compensation for all regularly assigned full–time activities performed for or in the name of the University. The University recognizes, however, that faculty may be called upon from time to time to perform additional tasks over and above their regularly assigned duties for which they may receive extra compensation. Exceptions to this policy, consistent with Federal and State statutes and directives, must be approved by the President.
220.127.116.11 Compensation Categories
The following two categories of activities are allowed under the policy:
- Category I. Short–term Activities (non–credit conference, short courses, workshops and similar activities).
- Category II. Credit Courses
18.104.22.168 Restrictions for Category I and II
The following general restrictions shall apply to both categories of activities:
- An employee must be certified by his or her Department Head or Dean as working a full load in addition to the activity for which extra compensation is being recommended.
- The work for extra compensation shall not in any way interfere with the regular duties of the individual, as certified by the dean or supervisor.
- A request for extra compensation should be approved in writing by the Department Head or Dean in advance of performance of the work.
- Federal funds may not be used to pay extra compensation unless specifically authorized by the sponsoring agency.
- Stipend for extra compensation must be authorized to be paid at the regular payroll period for the time period in which it is earned.
- An employee may engage in only one activity in each category at a time for extra compensation unless approved by the Dean and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- An employee is limited to one off–campus credit course per semester for extra compensation unless approved by the Dean and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Extra compensation will not be allowed if a conflict of interest is involved.
- University funds will not be used for extra compensation for speeches, public appearances that constitute civic activities, public relations, and development activities.
- University funds will not be used for extra compensation for research, research consultation, collaboration, or creative works.
22.214.171.124 Compensation for Category I Activities
The maximum amount which may be paid a faculty member through University sources in an academic year is subject to the approval of the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the President whenever that amount exceeds 25% of the faculty member’s academic year salary. Additional monies can be earned in the summer, provided the total summer compensation does not exceed one–third of the total academic year’s salary. All authorizations for extra compensation in Category I non–credit activities must be approved by the President or designee.
126.96.36.199 Compensation for Category II Activities
The maximum amounts which may be paid are
- Three (3) credit hours undergraduate: $1250/semester
- Three (3) credit hours graduate: $1500/semester
5.5.2 Schedule for Converting Salaries
The following schedule is used for converting nine–month employee salaries to ten, eleven, or twelve month salaries
|9 months to 10 months = 9–month salary x 10/9|
|9 months to 11 months = 9–month salary x 11/9|
|9 months to 12 months = 9–month salary x 12/9|
|12 months to 11 months = 12–month salary x 11/12|
|12 months to 10 months = 12–month salary x 10/12|
|12 months to 9 months = 12–month salary x 9/12|
Changes to Section of Manual
|Section||Effective Date||Origin||Change Form|