The Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System, the governing Board for Nicholls State University and most of the other universities in the state of Louisiana, has given some guidance as to what policy manuals and handbooks should be available to the employees at each of its institutions. The Board has advised that each institution set forth internal regulations, policies, and procedures for all unclassified employees.
Prior to the fall semester of 2004, Nicholls State University provided three separate handbooks to employees. These handbooks were designed to include all policies for both classified and non–classified employees. A Civil Service Manual was published for classified employees. Because of the administrative and contractual differences between the two remaining non–classified divisions (faculty and non–faculty), the University published two separate handbooks: the Faculty Handbook and the Administrative Staff Handbook. The revised Nicholls State University Faculty Handbook, completed in the Spring semester of 1993, was approved for distribution in May, 1993. The Administrative Staff Handbook, approved and distributed in 1995, applied to all employees not covered by the Faculty Handbook and the Civil Service Handbook.
Beginning with the fall 2004 academic year, the University began publishing an online Policy & Procedure Manual that combined all of the information in the three previous handbooks. The numerical and sectional organization of the Manual maintains the distinction between the three different employee groups covered by the original handbooks; however, the online Policy & Procedure Manual with its common index more readily accommodates searches for specific information.
1.19.2 Purpose of Policy & Procedure Manual
The Policy & Procedure Manual is a gathering place for all official university policies, procedures, and practices. After policies are gathered, they are categorized using an approach that takes the management levels of the university into consideration. All policies are then appropriately numbered and posted using a consistent format and design.
Whenever possible, the policy summaries shall link information contained in other university manuals. The Policy & Procedure Manual should also contain links to all university procedures and forms.
1.19.3 Coordination of the Policy and Procedure Manual
The Coordination of Policy and Procedure Manual is the responsibility of the Policy and Procedure Manual Committee. The Policy and Procedure Manual Committee is responsible for monitoring all policy changes and for informing all employees of any and all updates. The committee is composed of the following members: the Policy and Procedure Manual Coordinator (appointed by Provost) who will serve as Chair Assistant Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness, Access, and Success and SACSCOC Liaison, Human Resources Director, Faculty Senate Policy and Procedure Coordinator, Unclassified Staff Advisory Council Representative, Classified Staff Advisory Council Representative, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Representative, Dean Representative, and Director of Graduate Studies.
1.19.4 Forwarding Policies
Using the Policy and Procedure Manual Change Form (see internal administrators’ V drive: Admins > POLICY AND PROCEDURES), appropriate administrators and the various policy–making bodies of the university shall forward the following through channels for processing by the Chair of the Policy and Procedure Manual Committee:
- New policies, new directives, new procedures;
- Changes to existing policies, existing directives, existing procedures;
- Cancellation of existing policies, existing directives, existing procedures.
- The Policy and Procedure Manual Committee shall get proper approval before processed material is included in the Policy & Procedure Manual.
- The Policy and Procedure Manual Committee shall receive copies of the following:
- All pertinent statutes and advisories received by the President’s Office and the offices of first and second–level administrators;
- The minutes of the Board of Regents and the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System;
- The minutes of the President’s Cabinet;
- Copies of memos and directives (that in effect make, change, or cancel policies, directives, and procedures) disseminated by first and second–level administrators;
- The minutes of all other bodies and committees charged with such activities that make, change, or cancel policies, directives, and procedures.
The Policy and Procedure Manual Committee shall report regularly to the President’s Cabinet and University Council through the Assistant Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness, Access, and Success and SACSCOC Liaison for approval of the following:
- The committee’s assessment of all forwarded material (listed above);
- The committee’s determination of the appropriate handling of listed above with regard to inclusion in the Policy & Procedure Manual.
1.19.5 Distribution and Posting of Policies
The Chair of the Policy and Procedure Manual Committee shall properly update the Policy & Procedure Manual on the Nicholls State University website. The Manual shall be updated and revised in a timely manner following appropriate policy approvals.
Whenever the Policy & Procedure Manual has been properly updated, the Chair of the Policy and Procedure Manual Committee shall notify all concerned parties to include all or portions of the following:
- the Ellender Memorial Library;
- the office of the President of the University;
- the offices of the Vice Presidents;
- the offices of all deans and directors;
- the offices of all supervisors;
- the President of the Faculty Senate;
- other appropriate offices, officers, committees, and personnel.
1.19.6 Procedures for Changing the Policy & Procedure Manual
Policy changes at Nicholls State University can come from three sources:
- Policy changes initiated by statute or rule from the State of Louisiana, the Board of Regents, or the Board of Supervisors;
- Policy changes that are the result of activities by the policy or procedure–making bodies of the University through the President’s Cabinet;
- Informational changes that do not need to be cleared with the policy or procedure–making bodies.
Changes to Chapter 2 may also be made according to guidelines specified in Section 2.16.
Policy changes of the first kind, those brought about by mandates outside the University, shall initiate an immediate change in the Manual. Staff may be apprised of these changes through memos or other official documents before there is a related Manual update. Changes of the second kind, those resulting in President’s Cabinet action, shall also initiate changes that will go into effect immediately and will be published online. Individuals who are interested in having changes made to the Manual should consult with the proper policy–making body or should contact the Chair of the Policy and Procedure Manual Committee, the Assistant Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness, Access, and Success/SACSCOC Liaison for information about initiating changes.
Any changes that could result in Manual revisions should be reported to the Chair of the Policy and Procedure Manual Committee. It will be the responsibility of the Chair, as far as is possible, to advise the President of the need for Manual revisions. The Chair will have regular reviews of the Manual initiated, rotating sections in a five-year cycle. Changes made through the review process will be approved by the Policy and Procedure Manual Committee, after consulting with the appropriate group affected by the section being reviewed, where appropriate. Since the Manual is now online, changes will be made immediately and noted on each section of the Manual. Staff will be notified of changes through the Policy and Procedure Manual Committee members.