5.7. Academic Affairs Programs and Policies

5.7.1 The Academic Services Center Academic Alert The Department of University Studies Tutorial Learning and Academic Enhancement Center  Retention/Academic Advising Center for Dyslexia Study Programs Abroad

5.7.2 Graduate Assistantships

5.7.3 Academic Computing

5.7.4 Assessment and Institutional Research

5.7.5 The Center for Women and Government

5.7.6 University Computer Services The Telecommunications Center

5.7.7 Records and Registration

5.7.8 Research and Sponsored Programs Faculty Research Support and Faculty Research Council

5.7.9 Academic Program Development and Changes Curriculum Development Modifications to or Creation of Degree Programs

5.7.10 Faculty Appointment to the Graduate Faculty Criteria for Appointment as a Member of the Graduate Faculty

5.7.11 Library Policies Copying Procedures for Copying Microform Copies Staff Assistance Courtesy Cards Criteria Cost Regulations Fee Collection Policy Review

5.7.12 Honorary Degrees Honorary Degree Committee Procedure to be Followed for Nomination and Selection of Candidates

5.7.1 The Academic Services Center

The Academic Services Center is the academic and administrative college for all freshmen, transfer, and other students who intend to pursue a degree and have met regular or conditional admission requirements. Students who meet exit requirements of the Academic Services Center may apply for entry into the senior academic colleges.

The Academic Services Center introduces students to the purpose of the University through comprehensive student development services including curricular offerings and personal development programs that prepare students to enter senior academic colleges or choose alternative post secondary educational experiences or careers.

Back to Top Academic Alert

After mid–semester examinations, the Academic Services Center students should see their assigned counselor/advisor for academic advice. Students with unsatisfactory grades have the option of dropping courses.

Back to Top The Department of University Studies

The Department offers courses emphasizing study skills, orientation, self–awareness, interpersonal relationships, career awareness, and critical thinking. University Studies 101 is a required course for all entering freshmen. For those students who qualify, Leadership Studies 152 and Academic Success substitute for University Studies 101.

Back to Top Tutorial Learning and Academic Enhancement Center

The Tutorial Learning and Academic Enhancement Center is designed to aid in developing competencies needed to earn a college degree by providing specialized tutoring in developmental and freshman level course offerings. Students are tutored in small groups through peer and computer assisted instruction. Night tutoring sessions are available. Students and faculty should contact the Director at 448–4097.

Back to Top  Retention/Academic Advising

The Director of Retention and Advisor Training and Assessment has general responsibility for improving the quality of academic advising at the University. The Director also offers a Master Advisor certification program that is available to all faculty. Please contact the Director, the Advising Center, or University College for information about the certification program.

Each student in University College is assigned an academic advisor through the office of the Director of Retention and Advisor Training and Certification. Students are encouraged get the name of their assigned advisors through the ICAN online advising system on the Nicholls homepage ( https://www.nicholls.edu ). For general assistance with scheduling, curriculum changes, and other administrative procedures, students may also contact the Nicholls State University Academic Advising Center located on the second floor of Elkins Hall.

The Academic Advising Center (AAC) was created to provide academic advising and support to Nicholls State University students from the time of their admission until their acceptance into their majors. Students may arrange for an appointment with an advisor to discuss academic progress or any other problems related to coursework. The AAC is committed to assisting students in taking responsibility for their own intellectual and life skills development. The process of advising is therefore designed to recognize the developmental and situational need for such assistance to students. All students are strongly encouraged to use advisors and the AAC to assist with course selection and academic planning. For more information call 985–448–4117.

Back to Top Center for Dyslexia

The Louisiana Center for Dyslexia and Related Learning Disorders, located in the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, has statewide responsibility for establishing programs for the identification, and remediation of dyslexia and other language processing disorders. The Center is a result of 1990 Louisiana Legislative Act 854 that mandates in–service training for teachers. The Director of the Center works with community educators, parents, and students at both undergraduate and graduate levels.

Back to Top Study Programs Abroad

Nicholls State University offers programs of foreign study in which students can travel to foreign countries on an organized tour and receive academic credit at either the undergraduate or graduate level. The Nicholls Europe Program is designed for high school students who have completed their junior year, undergraduates and graduate students who seek to improve their professional competency through advanced study, research and travel abroad. The Department of Foreign Languages also offers study programs at specific study sites in Canada, France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Italy, Austria, Mexico, and Costa Rica. Individualized study programs may be organized for students desiring to study in these countries or pre–approved sites in other countries. Programs are offered normally for the month of July, but may be arranged for longer and different time periods. Both graduate and undergraduate credit is available.

Back to Top

5.7.2 Graduate Assistantships

College deans are responsible for developing a description of the graduate assistantship duties in their particular college. Assistantship awards are available to full–time graduate students. These two–semester awards are full– or half–time assistantships offering stipends and are awarded on the basis of academic qualifications and/or professional experience. A full assistantship requires twenty (20) hours of work per week and a one–half assistantship requires ten (10) hours of work per week during the fall and spring semesters. Full details regarding graduate assistantships are available in the academic deans’ offices.

Back to Top

5.7.3 Academic Computing

The Director of Academic Computing reports to the Executive Vice President. The Department of Academic Computing provides computer and instructional technology support to students and faculty. All students have a private electronic mail account and access to the Internet. Computer laboratories located in the University Library, the College of Business Administration, and the College of Nursing are available to all enrolled students. Many departments have dedicated computer classrooms or labs for specific majors, art, business administration, computer science, criminal justice, education, English, family and consumer science, legal assistant studies, mass communication, music, nursing, and office information systems are among the areas that have dedicated computer facilities. In addition, large data bases and statistical analysis software are available on a MicroVAX minicomputer.

The administrative side of the Computer Center provides administrative record keeping for the University. Support includes the development and maintenance of software, terminal and personal computer hookup to the network, hardware maintenance for certain remote equipment, training on the use of equipment and software, consultation on the acquisition of computer resources, and a variety of other services.

Back to Top

5.7.4 Assessment and Institutional Research

Assessment and Institutional Research is responsible for performing and assisting in the areas of data exchange, accountability reporting, analytical studies, and planning.

Assessment and Institutional Research maintains various institutional data bases related to enrollment, admissions, degrees granted, and overall student body characteristics. Thus, this office is responsible for completing data inquiries from internal and external sources. In addition, this office is responsible for coordinating the University’s planning effort and provides staff support to the President and Vice Presidents.  Executive Director of Planning and Institutional Effectiveness chairs the University’s Planning Council and represents the University on state budget committees and advisory groups.

Back to Top

5.7.5 The Center for Women and Government

The Director is responsible for the encouragement of the future leadership of women by preparing then for public service through non–partisan provision and support of education, research, training and development of creative programs. The program is designed to provide a full semester of learning experience focusing on the role of women in government.

The Louisiana Center for Women and Government provides funding to the Department of Government for the Women and Government Program. There are three major components to the program—an internship, a seminar, and an independent research project. Upon successful completion of the program, students receive eighteen (18) hours of college credit.

Acceptance into the program is competitive and accompanied by a full academic scholarship. A stipend is also granted to offset the cost of living. If the internship necessitates residency in Baton Rouge, housing is provided. Students from any major are welcome to apply. For more information contact the Department of Government (ext. 4610).

Back to Top

5.7.6 University Computer Services

The Director of University Computer Services reports to the Executive Vice President. University Computer services assists students, faculty, staff and administrators with their data processing needs.

The University main computer center in Room 155 Peltier Hall provides services to students, faculty, staff, and administrators. The computer configuration consists of an IBM 9221 computer system, model 130, with 64 million–byte main memory. The system has two magnetic tape drives and 11.20 billion–byte disk capacity. The campus has a fiber optic cable system connecting buildings; in addition, more than 750 terminals and personal computers are connected to the network. Its server is operated by a NOVELL operating system which connects users to the campus main network (NSUNET), the state computer network (LaNet), and Internet.

Back to Top The Telecommunications Center

Every faculty and staff member has access to a telephone for business use. The University telephone system is computer controlled and is maintained by the Telecommunications Center. Any on–campus number may be called by dialing the four–digit extension number after hearing a dial tone. To call an outside number, the caller should wait for the dial tone, dial 9, wait for the second dial tone, and then dial the outside number. Long distance calls can be made only from designated extensions. Faculty/staff who need to make several long distance calls on University business should request this service through the Department Head or immediate supervisor.

The University’s phone system has several useful features that faculty/staff may wish to use: call forwarding, call waiting, conference calling, and the ability for all users to have incoming calls automatically transferred. Faculty and staff members are encouraged to have telephone calls forwarded to departmental secretaries for the convenience of students. An instructional booklet on the details regarding these features can be obtained through the Telecommunications Center at extension 4999. The University Computing Center also offers a telephone equipment troubleshooting service and will forward requests for telephone equipment service.

The following are established procedures that apply to phone service


These requests will require a campus work order, with appropriate signatures, routed through Purchasing. Work orders will be processed in the order they are received (FIFO).


Problems can be reported by e–mail to “PHONE” describing the nature of the problem and providing the following: a) Extension with problem b) building and room, and 3) contact person with extension.

Problems will be handled as a priority item (higher than Adds, Moves, or Changes).

E–mail reports are encouraged because the technician may be away from the office performing repairs.

Back to Top

5.7.7 Records and Registration

Records and Registration reports directly to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs.

The responsibility of this office is to assure the accuracy and integrity of student academic records. The office operates registration services, drop/add, resignations, class rosters, and enrollment verifications. Transcripts of the student’s academic record are sent at the request of the student.

Other responsibilities of this office include monitoring compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) (described in the University Catalog), NCAA student athletic eligibility, academic renewal, grade changes, credit petitions, and recording credit by examination.

Back to Top

5.7.8 Research and Sponsored Programs

The Director initiates and disseminates research grant activities and other sponsored programs, serves as a liaison with the Board of regents Research Council and with staff of other universities with regard to research grants, assists in grant writing for faculty and staff, and works in conjunction with the university’s Coordinator of Grants to disseminate funds

The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) promotes and facilitates research and scholarly activities for faculty and administrative staff by helping them locate and secure external funding. The office encourages the inclusion of students in grant projects. ORSP provides a central source of information on major governmental agencies, foundations and corporations that support research, and pedagogical and creative activities.

ORSP provides assistance with the conceptual development and planning of proposals. More specifically, it offers pre–award assistance in identifying potential extramural funding sources, developing proposal narratives and budgets, completing standardized application forms, assuring compliance with applicable federal and state regulations, and negotiating grant awards and contracts.

Every proposal for external funds submitted by Nicholls faculty and staff legally binds the University to certain activities and/or cost. Therefore, the planned project must be in accord with University, college, and department goals, capabilities and policies. For this reason, all grants, contracts or cooperative agreements must be submitted to the ORSP for review and designated administrative approvals.

Pre–award handbook and policies regarding human subject research are available on the ORSP website.

Back to Top Faculty Research Support and Faculty Research Council

The Faculty Research Council gathers and disseminates information concerning grants and funds available to the University. The Council also reviews faculty proposals requesting University funding. There are eight members on the Faculty Research Council.

Back to Top

5.7.9 Academic Program Development and Changes

Specific information about such topics as academic program changes can be found in Board of Regents memoranda on file in the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Back to Top Curriculum Development

Faculty have the primary responsibility for curriculum, including course additions, deletions, or modifications, and program additions or modifications. These additions and modifications may involve Board of Regents approval. Faculty should be aware of the complete process from the department level to the Board of Regents (Section Knowledge of time limitations is crucial for a successful conclusion to the process. In most cases, a curriculum proposal is developed intra-departmentally. The college curriculum committees review the proposal and either approve it by sending it on to the Dean or sending it back to the Head with suggested modifications. The Dean may return the proposal to the committee for further modification or send it on to the Courses and Curriculum Committee or the Graduate Council as required.

After review by the Graduate Council or appropriate committee, the proposal may be returned to the appropriate Dean for modification. The committees may also schedule hearings with specific Department Heads or faculty proposing changes in order to obtain further information. Upon approval by the committee, a recommendation is forwarded to the Faculty Senate.

Upon approval by the Courses and Curricula Committee, minutes are forwarded to the Faculty Senate and a recommendation is made by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs makes final disposition of the proposal and notifies the Senate of the recommendation. More detailed information of the responsibilities in the routing process for curriculum changes is found in the Courses and Curriculum Procedures document.

Approximate deadlines for the steps described above are as follows. These deadlines are necessary in order to make the publishing deadline required by the University Catalog:

• Department Head must submit notice that the curriculum change proposed herein has been communicated to the campus community 2 weeks prior to scheduled Courses and Curricula Committee (C&CC) meeting (Notice of Proposed Action to C&C)
• For schedule of meeting times with C&CC see \\NICHNSUNET\USERS\admins\COURSES AND CURRICULA\C&C Calendar\COURSES AND CURRICULA calendar.doc on V Drive.
• Check appropriate boxes on this form to indicate action proposed to C&CC and documentation included in packet. A separate form must be completed and submitted for each action proposed.
• Explain WHY this change is being proposed using documented assessment that has been done by faculty in your department and attach documentation.
• This completed form and applicable attachments must be emailed to the C&CC at coursescurricula@nicholls.edu at least two weeks prior to the meeting date scheduled with C&CC. These documents are emailed to the C&CC members to review prior to the meeting.
• Department representative must bring the original, signed copy of this document and one hardcopy of all attachments to the scheduled C&CC meeting.

Back to Top Modifications to or Creation of Degree Programs

The Board of Regents for the State of Louisiana has the authority to grant Program and Curriculum
Changes for Louisiana Colleges and Universities. Guidelines for “requests to offer a new program”
and “requests to revise or eliminate an existing program and/or administrative unit.” were modified in
September 2011.

The first step in the method for proposing these changes is the “Letter of Intent.” It is important for all faculty members to realize that

  • the letters of intent must contain specific information about descriptions of proposed programs, needs for proposed programs, estimated student enrollment for proposed programs, faculty criteria for proposed programs, library and special resource needs for proposed programs, facility and equipment needs for proposed programs, administration for proposed programs, and costs for proposed programs;
  • the letters of intent must be filed 12 months in advance of proposals for baccalaureate, master’s, specialist, and doctoral programs, and 90 days in advance for certificate and associate programs. (Only under unusual circumstances will the Board of Regents waive these time requirements.)
  • the letters of intent are valid for three years after the date of submittal to the Board of Regents.

Specific requirements and forms for letters of intent and proposals are available from the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Back to Top

5.7.10 Faculty Appointment to the Graduate Faculty

Membership on the graduate faculty is determined by The Graduate Council on the basis of an individual’s duties and qualifications after recommendation of the appropriate department head and academic dean.  Appointment to the graduate faculty is a recognition of outstanding achievement and not an honor bestowed simply because of position or service.  Standards of the College Delegate Assembly of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges require that graduate faculty members be productive, creative scholars. Productive scholarship requires devotion to the discovery, development, and refinement of knowledge and techniques in one’s field of expertise. Recommendations for appointment further are restricted to persons who are/will be actively providing graduate academic services and/or graduate instruction for the University.

Graduate faculty application forms are requested by the Office of University Graduate Studies during the first month of the fall and spring semesters.  Faculty must complete and sign an application form (which can be obtained from the Office of University Graduate Studies) and submit through the proper channels before action can be taken by the Graduate Council.  The application form should first be submitted to the faculty member’s department head, who may recommend appointment.  If the department head recommends appointment, the request will be sent to the appropriate academic dean.  If the application is not recommended at the department-head or academic-dean level, the application is returned to the faculty member with recommendations for updates and/or changes; however, the faculty member may resubmit at any time.  If the academic dean recommends appointment, then the application is submitted to the Graduate Council for final review and appointment to graduate faculty.  If the Graduate Council does not vote for appointment, the application is returned to the faculty member with recommendations for updates and/or changes.  The faculty member may resubmit at any time.

Back to Top Criteria for Appointment as a Member of the Graduate Faculty

The following are the levels of appointment to the Graduate Faculty with the criteria and qualifications needed for each level:

A Regular Member of the graduate faculty is appointed for five years and is authorized to perform functions appropriate to graduate education including teaching graduate courses within their area of expertise and serving as major professor for graduate students.  Minimum qualifications for appointment are the highest terminal earned degree or the clear equivalent in the field, the rank of Assistant Professor or higher, avowed interest in graduate instruction, experience in teaching advanced subjects, and a minimum of two peer-reviewed research publications within the five years prior to appointment along with evidence of continued scholarly activity during that time period.  Faculty who have earned their terminal degree within two years of application may apply for regular membership.  Regular Members are evaluated for reappointment every five years.

A Senior Associate Member of the graduate faculty is appointed for three years to teach specifically designated courses, the content of which lies within the area of specialization of the faculty member.  Minimum qualifications for appointment are completion of a terminal degree, the rank of Assistant Professor or higher, possession of unique qualifications for teaching specialized courses, avowed interest in graduate education, and evidence of scholarly activity within the three years prior to appointment.  A Senior Associate Member is not authorized to serve as major professor for graduate students.  Senior Associate Members whose services are required for longer than three years must be re-submitted for approval and should be exploring appropriate scholarly activity for appointment to Regular Member.  

An Associate Member of the graduate faculty is appointed for two years to teach specifically designated courses, the content of which lies within the area of specialization of the faculty member.  Minimum qualifications for appointment are completion of a master’s degree and possession of unique qualifications for teaching the specialized courses to which the individual would be assigned.  An Associate member is not authorized to serve as major professor for graduate students.  Associate Members whose services are required for longer than two years must be re-submitted for approval.

A Professional Affiliate (PA) of the graduate faculty is appointed for two years based on evidence of expertise or knowledge directly relevant and applicable to the professional program in which the individual will be involved.  PAs may engage in instructional activities at the master’s level and may serve as a member of thesis committees but may not normally chair except by permission of the Director of University Graduate Studies.  Expertise is defined in terms of recent activities recognized by the focal area as indicative of excellence.  Appropriate indicators may include:  terminal degrees in focal or relevant areas; professional certification; licensure, diplomas, or record of professional practice; and demonstrated professional excellence through performances, exhibitions, presentations, professional publications, or national awards.  Individuals whose professional activities are a function of their Nicholls employment are ineligible for professional affiliate status.  Professional Affiliate Members whose services are required for longer than two years must be re-submitted for approval.  

An Adjunct Member of the graduate faculty is a visiting member of the faculty who meets all criteria for appointment either as a Regular Member, Senior Associate Member, or as an Associate Member, but who is not a permanent employee of the University.  Appointment as an Adjunct Member is for two years to teach specifically designated courses, the content of which lies within the area of specialization of the faculty member.  Adjunct Members whose services are required for longer than two years must be re-submitted for approval.


Back to Top

5.7.11 Library Policies

Back to Top Copying

Back to Top Procedures for Copying

Any preapproved faculty member or designated graduate assistant may use the faculty copiers. A sign–in sheet listing name, department, and number of copies is located near each machine.

At the end of each month the number of copies made to each department will be calculated. A list will be compiled and the total copies made by each department will be forwarded to the Controller’s Office. This office will then compute the bill for each department and deduct this amount from the departmental copier account. This amount will be transferred into the library’s rental and supply accounts in equal portions.

Problems encountered with the number of copies made by a faculty member or graduate assistant are to be resolved by the faculty member and the department head or dean. The dean or department head may notify the library to remove copy privileges at any time. This must be done in writing.

The cost of each copy will be 10 cents.

Materials that do not circulate such as reference books and periodicals may not be removed from the library by faculty members or graduate assistants in order to make copies on departmental machines. The regulations on circulation of materials are designed to allow for maximum use of these expensive materials.

Back to Top Microform Copies

Copies of microform materials are made on reader/printers. Copies are recorded and a list of number of copies made by faculty members and graduate assistants will be sent each month along with the autotron count.

The cost of such copies will be 10 cents. These funds will be transferred to the library’s supply account.

Back to Top Staff Assistance

The library staff will assist in demonstrating use of either copiers or reader/printers. The staff cannot, however, be responsible for copying materials for university faculty, staff or students.

Back to Top Courtesy Cards

Individuals (besides faculty and non–minor family of faculty) who wish to obtain full library privileges (check–out privileges) must apply for a courtesy card. These individuals include members of the local community, individuals attending other colleges and universities and alumni of Nicholls State University.

Back to Top Criteria

The criteria for obtaining Library courtesy cards are as follows:

  • The patron must be 18 years old or older.
  • Patron must have a valid Louisiana driver’s license or state identification card.

Back to Top Cost

In keeping with other state university libraries and with general library practices an annual fee of $12 is charged for each courtesy card. The year is defined as the fiscal year beginning on July 1. Individuals applying after the July 1 date will be prorated to not less than $5, i.e.. a courtesy card applied for in January would cost $6.

Back to Top Regulations

The following are the regulations for courtesy card users:

  • At the beginning of a new fiscal year the card holder may renew the card for another year by sending a check to the circulation desk or by personally visiting the library.
  • Patrons will have to go to Student Life with their receipt and obtain a bar–coded ID with their photos on it.
  • Patrons obtaining courtesy cards are subject to the same fines (25 cents per day per book/$10 maximum overdue fine per book, lost book and service charges) as other patrons.
  • Consistent overdue and lost book fines may result in cancellation of library privileges.
  • Courtesy cards may not be loaned to other individuals. Identification may be requested by members of the circulation staff when checking books out on a courtesy card.
  • If a university patron requests a book that is checked out to a courtesy card patron, the patron will be sent a request to return the book even if it is not overdue. The courtesy card patron has 48 hours to return requested materials. After that period a charge of $1 per day per book will be attached to all requested materials. This fine will accrue until the book is returned.
  • Courtesy card patrons may borrow up to ten items at one time.
  • Overdue books must be returned and outstanding fines must be paid before a courtesy card patron will be allowed to check out additional materials.
  • A library brochure and courtesy card patron handout will be presented to the patron at the time the card is issued or reissued. This will be the only notification of library policies and procedures that the courtesy card patron will receive. The patron is responsible for reading and abiding by these rules.
  • Problems encountered that involve courtesy card patrons will be directed to the Director.

Back to Top Fee Collection

The circulation desk will be responsible for collection of courtesy card fees. A receipt will be written in a courtesy card fee book. One copy will be given to the patron and a copy will be retained by the library. At the end of each week a copy of the fee receipts, plus all monies will be turned in to the Director’s office along with a tally of fees collected. The Director’s secretary will validate the tally and deposit the fees with the Controller’s Office. The fees will be deposited in the acquisitions budget of the library.

Back to Top Policy Review

This policy will be subject to changes that occur in the policies and procedures of the library. Fines, lost book charges or maximum overdue fines are subject to change without written notification of courtesy card patrons. Current library fee policies are posted at the circulation desk. Charges for courtesy cards are subject to change with the approval of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Back to Top

5.7.12 Honorary Degrees

The University awards honorary degrees for the purpose of honoring individuals who have demonstrated extraordinary achievements in such areas as industry, research, scholarship, education, artistic creation, social activism, human rights, humanitarian outreach, etc., or who have been recognized by the faculty for embracing or promoting the values of higher education and of the institution.  (See Board Rules, Chapter 1, Academics, Section VI. Special Degrees.)

The following general principles shall apply to the selection process:

  • The recipient should be recognized for extraordinary achievement over an entire career and not merely to honor a single achievement;
  • The recipient of the degree shall be selected by a faculty committee and approved by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, President, and Board of Supervisors, as required;
  • The honorary doctoral degrees awarded may be chosen from among the following:
  • Honorary Doctor of Commerce (D. Com.) for achievement in and contributions to business and industry,
  • Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts (D.F.A.) for contributions to and achievements in the arts,
  • Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters (D.H.L.) for contributions to society through philanthropy and public service,
  • Honorary Doctor of Laws (L.L.D.) for contributions to and achievement in government, law, public administration, or related service
  • Honorary Doctor of Letters (D.Litt.), for contributions to and achievements in the field of writing, literature, film,
  • Honorary Doctor of Music (Mus.D.) for contribution to and achievement in the field of music,
  • Honorary Doctor of Pedagogy (D.Ped.) for contributions to and achievement in the field of teaching,
  • Honorary Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) for contribution to and achievement in a field of science.

The relevant college should be consulted about the title of the degree; Eligibility:

  • Candidates for honorary degrees must have distinguished themselves through outstanding contributions to society.
  • Current members of the Board of Supervisors, faculty, staff, or administrators of the University are ineligible for honorary degree consideration.
  • Louisiana elected officials in office (in local, state, or national government positions or who are candidates for office) at the time of selection and conferral are ineligible for honorary degree consideration.
  • Honorary degrees shall not be awarded in absentia or posthumously except under extraordinary circumstances.
  • The University may grant no more than two honorary degrees during an academic year

Back to Top Honorary Degree Committee

An Honorary Degree Committee (its membership described below) shall be responsible for receipt, review, and recommendations of all nominations for such degrees.


  1. Four tenured faculty members
  • One appointed by the president.
  • One appointed by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  • Two appointed by the Faculty Senate.

Note: Faculty members will serve staggered four-year terms. No college may have more than one representative.

  1. The president of the Faculty Senate, or designee
  2. The president of the Student Government Association, or designee
  3. The chair of the Classified Advisory Committee, or designee
  4. The chair of the Unclassified Staff Advisory Council, or designee
  5. The president of the Alumni Federation, or designee
  6. The director of Graduate Studies

Note: The Director of Graduate Studies will serve as committee chair, but will be a non-voting member.

Back to Top Procedure to be Followed for Nomination and Selection of Candidates

  1. Nominations can originate from members of the faculty. A nomination may originate from an individual faculty member, from a department or college, or from the collaborative efforts of two or more departments or colleges within the university. Administrators who hold faculty rank may also nominate.
  2. Any recommendations of potential nominees that come from outside the faculty shall be received by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs’ office for referral to the appropriate college.
  3. Early during each semester, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs’ office may receive nominations for honorary degrees. The deadline for submission of all materials related to the nomination will be indicated for each semester. Adherence to a deadline is important in order that final approvals by the Board of Supervisors be obtained in time for the commencement ceremony in which the degree will be presented.
  4. Each nomination shall be written and shall include, whenever possible:
  • A biographical statement containing name, address, professional title, place of birth, educational background, employment history, and other honorary degrees, if any;  and
  • Appropriate written documentation for the nomination, including a list of primary contributions that qualify the individual for the honorary degree. This shall be indicated on the nomination form available from the Office of the President.
  1. Nominations will be handled with discretion and confidentiality as permitted by law.
  2. The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs will forward complete nomination files to the chair of the Honorary Degree Committee. The chair shall convene the committee to discuss committee procedures and meeting schedules. Support by a majority of the voting members shall be required to forward the nomination..
  3. The Honorary Degree Committee will forward its recommendations to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The recommendations will be accompanied by appropriate comments and will include the recommendation(s) of the degree(s) to be conferred. The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs will make appropriate comments and forward the file(s) to the President of the University. The President may
  • reject the nomination(s), ending all action , or
  • endorse the nomination(s) with appropriate comments, and forward the file(s) to the Board of  Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System.

Upon approval by the Board, candidates will be informed by the President of their selection and invited to accept the honorary degree. Following acceptance, a public announcement will be made, and the degree will be conferred at the commencement ceremony.

Back to Top



Changes to Section of Manual
Section Effective Date Origin Change Form 10/8/19 University Graduate Studies PPM change